On 10/18/07, frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/18/07, David Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have enough Canadian heritage to appreciate why Northern North
> > Americans, ;-), don't like that proposition, but I'm far enough
> > removed from Canadian/US politics that I find it funny :-D
>
> It's not a political issue as much as a cultural one.

Ahh... but the politics of differing cultures is causes a lot of problems.

> I know Bob was joking, and truly meant no harm, and in so many ways
> it's great being next to the only superpower in the world.

Being next to the worlds "only superpower" is why I was born in Oz &
not in Canada.

Crikey, thinks could have been so different....eh? ;-)

> I think many of us (which is really my way of sayng "I") are tired of
> is being thought of or portrayed as second-class citizens or some sort
> of poor cousin to the US.

I've never got that feeling from people in this corner of the world

> Even worse is the thought that somehow we're "just like Americans",
> but we don't do all (or any) of the dirty work they do to keep the
> world safe for democracy.  Like Bob said, "all the benefits" and "none
> of the responsibility".  That pretty much sums up the message that we
> hear time and time again.

I know better.

> Bob may have been joking, but too many ~aren't~ when comments like
> that are made.

Bob said that to stir up trouble knowing that some would rise the the bait. :-)

Tsk, tsk, tsk, naughty Bob!!!

Cheers,

Dave