pentax-discuss-digest at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, Mike, even though I dislike digital
> imaging, much preferring B&W photography.

Shel,
I don't dislike digital imaging any more, but my heart remains with B&W
photography, where it has been for 21 years now, ever since I first set up a
rudimentary darkroom in a bathroom under my parents' basement stairs.

My #1 favorite kind of photography is what one might call "the Magnum
style"--35mm B&W documenting life in the real world. For a long time I've
"mimicked" this style of photography without really being terribly good at
it...I wish I were. Actually, my own best strengths are probably in a less
dynamic, more lyrical, more craft-centered method of working. But I like
Tri-X prints printed out to the blackline so much that that's what I've done
the most of for many years (except for the first 10 years I used Plus-X).

I also like medium-format and large-format black-and-white a lot...but not
as much as I like 35mm.

BTW, have you ever seen a book called "Ground Time" by Kent Reno? Kent's an
airline pilot who photographs in B&W 35mm during layovers all around the
world. Kent crops, but he's a marvelous craftsman. From what I've seen of
your work, I suspect you might appreciate "Ground Time" very much.

--Mike