--- graywolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To be a good B&W photographer you need to know how
> to develop and print B&W. It
> helps for color too, but many feel it is not as
> important. Anytime you are
> dealing with a custom lab you need to know enough to
> supervise their work for
> you, at least enough to know when to demand a
> reprint.

Tom,

Explain to me why one has to know how to develop and
print, in order to know what one likes and what one
doesn't like, in prints.

I go back to my developer and say, "Robert, can you
lighten this a bit?" or "Can you burn the background a
bit?"

I don't need to know the process in order to give
instructions.

cheers,
frank

=====
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst"
********
"Of course it's all luck"
  --  Henri Cartier-Bresson