No I get your point. But Film quality has improved immensely in 100
years. High ISO, or ASA or DIN was once in the 100 range. and very
grainy. The bar keeps being raised. What is now unacceptable was at one
time the norm. It seems to me that you're making the mistake of
believing that "things have always been this way". Look at cameras built
in the 40's compared to cameras of the 70s. Look under the hood of a 60s
or 70s car or truck, compared to what's under the hood of one today.
Open up a 1950's transistor radio. Then look inside a modern one of the
same type, (if you can even find one that you can open without a dremmel
tool). All these things have changed, in some cases beyond recognition.
Is digital always better? Not always, but getting high ISO results equal
to what was yesterday the best you could get with a low speed fine grain
film has always been a goal.

--
Remember, it’s pillage then burn.