On Oct 24, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Tom C wrote:

> Yeah I guess you're right.  Those millions of SLR's sold with split
> prism
> screens in the 60's, 70's, 80's all had them for no good reason.

They had them for good reason, Tom: they made it faster to achieve
close approximate focus.

But there was never a "one size fits all" optical focusing aid that
works as well as a matte screen. That's why Nikon offered as many as
30 different focusing screens with optical aids for the Nikon F line
back in the '60s and '70s, with big charts to say which one to use
with what lenses for what situations. Instructions for use of a
focusing screen with a focusing aid always recommended that critical
focus be done with the surrounding fine-matte-ground focusing
surface, unless the particular screen was not equipped with any and
was designed entirely to support focusing speed and brightness
instead of critical accuracy.

Only the matte screens (and there were three or four of those) were
on the "compatible and recommended" list for all lenses.

Godfrey