Because your eye is trying to focus on the image too. Then you have two
different systems working against each other. The trick is to focus you eye on
something distant then grab the first snap into focus on the ground glass. Try
it, it works.

There is another technique where you focus on the ground glass surface. You can
fiddle to your hearts content if you can do that properly, but it is a skill
that takes a while to learn. I was never good at it unless I had a scribe line
to hold my eye focus which is why I like the grid screen. The snap focus one
can
be learned by most folks with a few minutes practice.