On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 06:53:13PM +0100, mike wilson wrote:
> Adam Maas wrote:
> > Doug Franklin wrote:

> >>I've never been near a running Lanc, though I've seen them on static
> >>display several times.  I have had a B-17 and B-24 go overhead at around
> >>1,000 feet.  Heard them coming and going for _miles_.  Nothing really
> >>sounds like a four-piston-engined bird.
> >>

> > There's only 2 flying Lanc's, 1 in the UK and one here in Canada, based
> > out of Hamilton, about an hour west of Toronto. A beautiful bird, but
> > small by todays standards.
>
> Small but effective.  I think it has three or four times the payload
> capacity of the B17.  No armour except for the cockpit........

The Lancaster could (when stripped down) carry as much as a 22,000lb bomb.
That was about three times the payload of a B17.

To put thing in perspective - modern strike fighters such as the F-16 or
the Eurofighter have a payload of 14,000lb or so - something like 80% of the
normal payload of an unmodified Lancaster, or twice what a B17 could carry.