> From: "Tom C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2007/11/08 Thu PM 10:19:51 GMT
> To: "'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'" <pdml@pdml.net>
> Subject: RE: Shooting film (Velvia)
>
> There's no film that's practically unscannable that I'm aware of.  I've
> scanned both Velvia and Kodachrome.  A scanner/film combination may exhibit
> certain characteristics.
>
> What's really being referred to is the relative ease of getting the desired
> results in a raw unadjusted scan.  Certainly some films are more easily
> scanned and require less adjustment, but I have always got results that
> ranged from satisfactory to great, depending on how much time I spent and
> the intended purpose.
>
> Essentially the scanner is taking a picture of the film, and as with all
> images, exposure, contrast, etc., will likely need adjusted after the scan.
> We all tend to expect things will work like magic, just like our cameras
> should never over/under expose.
>
> Someone will likely disagree or come up with that instance where their scans
> of this/that film were absolutely horrendous and no amount of adjustment
> could make it better, but I haven't seen it yet.
>
> Tom C.

I have had difficulty making scans from Velvia appear as colour-accurate as the
slides.  Which is not to say that the slides were accurate in a colour sense,
just that the scans did not match them.  No doubt a newer generation scanner,
with more colour depth, would improve that situation.  I have never had any
difficulty scanning Kodachrome, which I find to be quite colour accurate.