"J. C. O'Connell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What's the latest rumor on a Pentax digital SLR?
>Cant wait to mount my SMCTs on that baby.

My information from the industry is that Philips isn't making the chip at the
moment; for economic rather than technical reasons, though. The semiconductor
industry is suffering its worst slump in over 20 years and the fabs (at least
those of giants like Philips) are turning out only parts that will sell in big
numbers.
The business is in a scary state at the moment. Many people think AMD won't
survive at all (my guess is Via for a buyer). Motorola just sold off their
*entire* RF power MOSFET line to M/A-COM (including all the manufacturing
equipment from their fabs). Rumor is that Motorola is going to dump *all* their
remaining semiconductor divisions (LDMOS and microprocessors included) before
long.
When the semiconductor industry pulls out of recession you'll likely see
announcements that 6-megapixel full-frame digicams are on the way. Not until
then.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com