Rob Brigham wrote:

>Surely you wouldnt market a camera when you could not get the parts
>anymore even before it is launched?

Oh yes they would! R&D on this baby cost a fortune and it's time to get
some of that back. Contax is rumoured to be in dire financial straits and
some kind of return is crucial.

>This would be commercial suicide:
>
>1      if they sell like hotcakes you cant supply any more.

Having demand exceed supply is a *good* thing. harley-Davidson has used
this to keep prices up for years in a price-competitive market.

>2      if there are problems, you cannot get components to repair them
>under warranty and have to refund your customers money.

Keeping stock for spares would be part of the original purchase plan. Always
is.

>I would guess that either Philips has some exclusive deal with Contax
>and cannot supply anyone else, or they were already contractually
>obliged to supply Contax but they are making a loss on the product so
>dont want to supply anyone else, or Contax are buying as much stock as
>they can produce so there is none to supply to anyone else, or Contax
>havent been told that Philips have ceased supply.
>
>I just cant believe Contax would issue this release unless they had an
>ongoing supply of these parts...

I'm *certain* they would, *especially* if they've already invested a fortune
in buying these devices for current production, but I also believe that
Philips will be building these parts again within a year. If the February
release date gets puched back at all, the Contax probably won't be widely
available for quite a while.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com