It's a hardware limitation in the camera.  Pentax in it's wisdom decided
to do away with the mechanical aperture sensor.  To use an M lens at
anything other than maximum aperture or an A, F or FA lens using manual
aperture set with the aperture ring, you must use stop down metering.
This is accomplished by setting the camera mode to manual.  Once that is
done, you can either set the selected aperture then press the AE lock
button, which will set the correct shutter speed, or hold the DOF
preview on and adjust the aperture ring to get the proper exposure.
It's a pain, but it sounds like more of a pain than it actually is.
It's a well known limitation and has been a source of much angst on this
and many other Pentax lists.

--
The difference between individual intelligence and group intelligence is the
difference between Harvard University and the Harvard University football team.

        -- P. J. O'Roark