> > http://www.web-options.com/_B296674.jpg

Thanks to everyone for replying to this - I've been very surprised by
the size of the response. I think generally others have the same view
of it that I have.

It's in a very funny spot, light-wise. It seems to be really difficult
to find a time when there is some sunlight on the scene. I happened to
get lucky with this one because I've never seen that dappled light
there before, and that's why I stopped to try again.

I've photographed it before when the trees have been in full foliage.
They are figs, so the foliage is quite spectacular and tends to
overwhelm the composition. In particular they take away the graphic
lines of the windows, which I think are an important part of the
composition. They divide the space; the leftmost phone box continues
the line of the left window, the tree continues the line of the next
one, then the young man continues the line and finally the right-hand
phone box makes an equal division and an implied line upwards. So
cropping the windows would, in my view, weaken the composition.

The 2 men make the picture more successful than previous attempts.
With noone in the frame it is too flat and static for me. Other
versions have people walking parallel with the picture plane, and lack
life or dynamism. The fact that these men break the picture plane give
it another dimension and some movement, which is heightened by them
being mid-stride, stepping off the pavement. Their obvious enjoyment
of each other's company gives it a nice human touch, I think.

Here's a version with no people:
http://www.web-options.com/_B296673.jpg

As for the phone boxes, I think they are probably listed. Listing is
something that one of the cultural quangos can do to things of
architectural merit to prevent them being destroyed or ruined. BT
tried a few years ago to do away with many of the old Gilbert Scott K2
& K6 phone boxes, and many of them were promptly listed because they
do make a pleasant contribution to the streetscape and are very much
part of Britain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_telephone_box

--
 Bob