At 09:30 AM 14/12/2007, Mark Roberts wrote:
> >Hmm? When I have the camera on a tripod, I *always* have the mirror
> >pre-fire setting enabled unless I'm shooting at a motorsports event.
> >I turn it on before I snap the camera into the QR clamp...
>
>Like I said: Difference in shooting style. I often use the pre-fire
>when shooting from a tripod, but sometimes need to time even
>tripod-mounted shots to an accuracy that the 2-3 second pre-fire delay
>precludes, so I sacrifice ultimate sharpness for speed & control. And I
>shift back and forth between these types of shots quickly and often in
>some situations.

In these situations I find the IR remote handy.

I have it set up for 3 second pre-fire and I use it when shooting
landscapes/seascapes. But sometimes a person/car/boat moves into
frame that I want to catch so I need to time a shot more accurately.
When that occurs I switch to the on camera shutter release.

This is an example of the above mentioned situation:

<http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1378/1380962563_71870d3ac9_o.jpg>

I had been shooting the sunset & the big ship using the remote when
the smaller boat came powering in. Given the speed it was travelling,
I only had time for 1 shot.

Cheers,

Dave