The old IBM X-24 I bought awhile back works real well with the GPS plugged into
its Compact Flash slot. The advantage of the little notebook computer is its
small size. I also use a Pocket PC with the GPS sometimes (limited mapping with
that. I have a copy of Tom-Tom 5.o loaded that only gives me one state at a
time) which I hang on a dash mount.

If you get a refurbished laptop, I suggest one of the corporate models. They
seem to be more reliable than the consumer versions, and they are pretty cheap
because usually they come off least in huge quantities.

Graywolf
Website: http://www.graywolfphoto.com
Blog:    http://www.graywolfphoto.com/journal/