----- Original Message -----
From: William D. Sawyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 12:35 PM
Subject: RE: Film Developing

> Isaac,  what did it do to the grain?  I'm sitting here looking at last
night's negatives through my (admittedly cheap) loupe, and the grain looks
OK.

> Bill Sawyer
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    It's easier to see than to explain. If you want two diametricly opposed
philosophies, take a look at some negs developed in Rodinal vs Microdol-X.
High acutance developers sharpen the edges of the grain which gives a very
"sharp" result. This also accentuates the grain in a film. Years ago,
Rodinal was only really recomended for slow films because to grain could
become "objectionable" with faster films like Tri-x. Nowadays, grain is
"in", and people are processing all kinds of films with high acutence
developers...
    "Fine grain" developers like Microdol-X tend to soften the edges of the
grain which makes the grain less noticable, but also (IMHO) makes sharpness
less noticable. If you're really interested in fine grain, pick up an old
Yashicamat or an Autocord and revel in the fineness of the grain... and
don't forget to use a high acutance developer!:-)
    You'll notice all of the stuff I put in quotes, that's because so much
of this is persomal opinion, and one man's soft might be another's sharp, so
experiment and see what looks best to you...

Isaac