Have to admit not having completely read all such posts, but am here to
add that years ago Iowa not only had state owned/controlled liquor
stores, but each qualified buyer (21 yrs) was issued a ration book
which was shown and duly noted by the clerk at the time of purchase.
I remember my Dad having a "liquor book" that had its share of entries.
It was cheaper (no tax) than driving the 12 miles from our home to the
Missouri state line and using up some 23 cent gas.
Beer (3.2% alcohol) could be bought in local bars and grocery stores.
This has since completely changed. All freely available.

Jack