"Isaac Crawford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>William Robb wrote:
>
>> Mark Roberts wrote:
>>
>> > Your digital file *Output Resolution* is measured in PPI
>> > (pixels per inch). This is the value that you *can* set in
>> > Photoshop or whatever software you're using.
>> > If you're getting an 8 x 10 from a 15 megabyte file then
>> > you're outputting at less than 300 ppi.
>> >
>> > A 15 megabyte TIFF, output at 300 ppi, will yield a 6 x 9
>> > (approx) print. At 720 ppi it will yield a 2.5 x 4 (approx) print.
>>
>> I have been doing my 8x10s at 360dpi on the new Epson. This is
>> working out to about a 29MB filesize.
>
>    How does one calculate output resolution? I've seen the dialouge on
>photodeluxe where you just type it in, but I don't see that on photoshop 6.0
>(I'm all new to doing this myself...). So far I've done all of my work and
>then resized it to fit the media, but I don't see an actual figure for what
>I'm sending to the printer other than file size...

I'm using Photoshop 5.5. (Hope 6.0 is close otherwise this information won't
help much...)

First of all, I find everything much easier if I select "Pixels" for my units of
measurement. (FILE -> PREFERENCES)

>From the IMAGE menu, select IMAGE SIZE.
In the dialog box that pops up there's a top section (Pixel Dimensions) with
boxes for Height and Width (in pixels if that's what you set as I noted above,
otherwise you can select pixels for units).

The middle section of the dialog box (Print Size) has print height and width
(this is where you're concerned with size in inches) and resolution (in pixels
per inch). This resolution box is where you set output resolution.

The lowest section of the dialog box has 2 check boxes: "Constrain Proportions"
and "Resample Image" with a choice of options next to the "Resample Image" box.

To change print size WITHOUT altering your file size, you mush have the
"Resample Image" box UNCHECKED. When you change the number in the RESOLUTION
box, the physical size of your output (print) will change, but the size of the
image in pixels (and megabytes) won't.

If the "Resample Image" box IS checked, changing the RESOLUTION number will keep
the *print* size the same while altering the pixel dimensions of your file (and
subsequently changing the file size as well). This box hould be checked if
you're resizing the height and width in pixels (for web use, for example).

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com