As a sometimes Linux user, I agree with Cory re The Gimp.

 Cinepaint does do 16 bit editing but it has that Gimp interface :-(>

 Up until recently you could also do Raw conversion and 16 bit Linux
editing in Lightzone but since the upgrade to version 3 you can only
download a time-limited beta.  It seems that version 3 for Linux, when
finally released, won't be free.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters