On Dec 31, 2007, at 3:08 AM, Thibouille wrote:
> I discovered I have multiple copies of some pictures in my
> Lightroom library.
> The thing is one copy is Dng and the other is Jpeg.
>
> I don't want to kill all Jpegs since some pictures are only
> available in Jpeg.
> I would simply wanna kill all Jpeg copies which also exist in Dng
> format.
>
> Is there a way to do that in Lightroom or shall I program that myself
> with mighty Delphi ?

The problem can be simple or complex to solve depending on the
following issues:

- whether or not the file names are the same up to the extension
(IMGP2002.jpg and IMGP2002.dng, for example, indicate a high
likelihood that you have the same image in two different file
representations; however, you might have 'birthday-2005.jpg' and
IMGP2002.dng which are actually the same image).

- whether or not you have edited and want to save a particular JPEG
rendering in addition to a DNG rendering of the image at hand (you
might have a JPEG rendering which is identical to what you have done
to the current DNG, but then again you might have edited one or the
other further).

- whether the metadata is preserved in your JPEG files.

I selected about 800 images drawn from several libraries that I
needed to coalesce into the unique files. Try as I might, I could not
think of a logical way to accommodate all three of the above issues
via scripting alone. What I did was to use Lightroom's Library/Grid
view and the metadata browser along with the various Pick and Quick
Collection tools to winnow out the unique ones. The methodology I
used was multiple passes like the following:

- Select all
- set the Pick flags to null
- set the color labels to none
- unselect all
- set sort by capture time
- use metadata browser to select all JPEGs
- set JPEGs to red

If the metadata is there in all the files, you can see which have
duplicates pretty quickly. Walk through them fast and mark all the
duplicates with a Pick flag or put them in the quick collection. Once
you've got them in the quick collection, or with pick flags, filter
the view to just those, select all. Turn off the filter (the selected
ones will be highlighted), invert the selection (you've now got the
uniques selected) and create a collection including all the unique ones.

Now go to the Quick collection and walk through the duplicates, you
should see which are JPEG and which are DNG (or whatever) pretty
easily. Mark those which you want to delete from library or disk with
a delete flag. When you're sure, use the filtering to get just those
up, delete them, and scan through the whole set again to find any
other duplications with variant names, etc.

My path through this was complicated by the fact that I had not just
DNG and JPEGs to sort out but other potential duplicates in TIFF and
PSD format as well. It took me a day or so to get that 800 files
edited down to the unique and best 460 or so, all in DNG or TIFF/PSD
format with the edits I wanted.

Godfrey