On Jan 8, 2008, at 7:14 PM, Bruce Dayton wrote:

> A recent senior portrait taken in the home of a friend.
>
> Pentax K10D, DA* 50-135/2.8 @ 108mm
> ISO 100, 1/60 sec @ f/11, handheld
> Single Alien Bee monolight
>
> http://www.daytonphoto.com/PAW/ambersenior_0079.htm
>
> --
> Bruce

Beautiful light, Bruce, and a pretty girl. She should be happy.

Couple things to think about, though, as I examine this portrait. Her
instrument is in the wrong hand, needs to be on the left side, which
would also bring the left hand back into the photo, and get rid of
the incongruity of her having the instrument on the right -- where it
is a strong element-- but facing to her left. This placement creates
a tension in the composition that I don't think is necessary.
Bringing the viola/violin over would also give you a chance to give
it some more angle. As it is, it's too up and down, which, again,
makes it too dominant in the composition.

And it's probably just me, but if I'm putting a piano in the photo, I
want to see the keys.

Not saying the photo is bad, because it's certainly not. Just
throwing some stuff out there for next time.

Doug