When I'm working with film images (I still have *tons* of negatives)
the scans are incorporated into my directory tree as posted prior. I
edit the TIFF scan file's metadata and keywords to establish which
camera and the approximate date the exposures were made.

New negatives are put into sleeves with the date I processed them and
(if I'm thinking clearly) the processing information.

Godfrey