Mark,

Take a look at the Feisol CT3442 Tournament legs at
   http://www.feisol.net/

They're very strong, very nicely made, extremely light, and pack down
to be quite compact (about 19" long, 5 inches diameter; weight
including case is  4.1 lbs complete when fitted with a Markins Q3
Emille or Acratech Ultimate Ball Head). Without column extension,
they put the camera up to about 61" off the ground, with the column
extended, the head base is 72" high.

I've been using them for about 7 months and am completely satisfied.
The Markins Q3 fits beautifully and works very smoothly. Payload
capability on this tripod is about 25 lbs.

Godfrey