You really need to know a couple of things, the more or less exact
location from which the image was captured, exactly what the format of
the image was, (which should relatively easy if you have an uncut
original since prints were usually contact printed), but your assumption
is wrong on focal length.  Most likely if the traditional definition of
normal is used, then the diagonal of the film = normal focal length.  So
on 35mm film you need a ~43mm focal, on APS-C you need a ~28mm focal
length, etc.  Of course that rule was sometimes broken by manufactures,
(for example a lot of US manufactured TLRs had longer than "normal"
focal lengths to improve edge sharpness, though they were built much
later than this photograph).  As it was taken by a "professional" with a
view or field camera and he probably coated his own plates and he may
have used any lens he available.

--
I am personally a member of the Cream of the Illuminati.
A union with the Bavarian Illuminati is contemplated.