Bob W. wrote:

> So what? During the Renaissance and later some painters used optical
> devices, lenses etc. to help them with their painting. We know this
> because some of them, and some other Renaissance people, wrote about
> it and even painted it. It was no secret.

Bob,
chill off, take a deep breath, relax and smile!
:-)

I hope it only seems to me, and in reality you don't have any type
of a grudge against science and scientists.

1. Forgive me for omitting a very important part in my summary
(from your arguments it appears that you didn't "go to the source").
Let me quote, e.g. the introduction of the first article:
"..  work now shows that the use of projected images in art
goes back at least 150 years further than previously thought."
(Mind, that they properly acknowledge previous knowledge and findings.)

So, this is the first important fact. If you argue that it is not
correct, please provide specific references showing otherwise.

It is like somebody discovered a photo made with a Pentax camera
in 1802. :-)
If you can unambiguously prove such a fact about Pentax - I bet -
you can publish it. :-)

2. There are other interesting findings in the published papers.
To avoid omitting some important details, I will refrain myself from
presenting them here, and would rather refer those interested to the
FAQ compiled by Falco (and the original publications referenced and linked
therein): http://www.optics.arizona.edu/ssd/FAQ.html

What is very interesting in their finding to me (and I hoped would be
of interest to some PDML people), is the fact that they were able to
estimate parameters (focal lengths, sizes) of the lenses used by the artists.

Igor

FYI: When you publish articles in scientific journals, you do not get
paid for that, at least, not in physical sciences. One doesn't get paid
for conference presentations either, even if you have an invited talk.
They probably were paid for the article in a book that is the last
on that list. But it is a lot of work, writing even one chapter of a book.
I am not talking here about Hockney's book of which I know very limited
information. I am talking about publications related to optical analyses.
Careful research like this involves a lot of hard work.
So, when somebody makes findings like this, - he deserves his fame.
And if he gets paid for some of his public lectures or other
presentations of his work - I am happy for him.