Wed Jan 30 16:27:24 EST 2008
Bob W wrote:

> > Actually, this maybe of interest to some people on this list.
> > Charlie falco who is a physicist, together with an artist
> > David Hockney
> > did a research where they used optical distortions to demonstrate
> > that some Renaissance era drawing were made by tracing images
> obtained
> > with lenses (diffractive and/or refractive).
> >

> Some Renaissance paintings include subtle clues about it. For example,
> Leonardo's pictures of an artist using a perspective device, as well
> as his writings about artists' uses of perspective devices.
>
> I'm amazed that Hockney and others make such a fuss about it.

Bob,

A fuss?  No more then that about K10D, K1D, K20D, etc... :-)

Well...
1.  The articles in question demonstrate these conclusions
based on solid optics-based evaluation of the drawings.
The authors methodically analized many paintings, and concluded that
_many_ artists must be using lenses+tracing.

2. Apparently, some researchers do not agree with the conclusions
Hockney and Falco make. As far as I can tell, the biggest opponent is
David Stork, whose multiple publications where he is objecting
the conclusions of Hockney and Falco (IMHO too aggresively).
It shows that it is far from being accepted unanomously.

Igor