Wed Feb 6 01:52:36 EST 2008
Eactivist wrote:

> In a message dated 2/5/2008 10:41:06 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
> warobb at gmail.com writes:
> I think this is what has me  confused.
<..>

> William Robb

Bill,

If you are interested beyond the "crash" course already given by
PDMLers, a good starting point to learn primary elections is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primaries

> ===========
> Yes, you do.
>
> We  don't have a parliamentary system. I think our system is unique. Though I
> think  some may have copied it since. Three branches, Congress, Supreme
> Court,  President. The first two can make laws, the last can't. But basically
> the
> idea  is Congress makes laws, the Supreme Court interprets them when there is
>  conflict, and the President is like the CEO, he runs the show, but doesn't
> actually make laws. Checks and balances.

Marnie,
Sorry, but I would correct you, so that people don't get confused any
further. :-)
Only Congress (the legislative branch) can MAKE laws.
As you said, Supereme Court can only INTERPRET them.
Yes, they affect the way the laws work, but it is not equivivalent
to making them. The same way as the President, by nominating the supreme
judges can affect the way the law is interpreted, or by making
deals with the Congress or by vetoing the bill can affect which laws are
accepted, but he still doesn't MAKE laws.

> Primaries are to determine the  nominee for each party, the Democratic and
> Republican. Third parties have been a  small blib on the screen, never really
> taken hold. And Independents, which have  grown in numbers.

This is one of the idiosyncrasies of the US electorial system:
In my opinion, the fact that primaries are limited to only two parties
prevent other parties coming to light, and hence prevent them from
gaining more public support. Primaries (which run for several months)
give a lot of exposure to the candidates from the Republican and
Democratic parties. Other parties' candidates do not get that exposure.
Taking into account that majority of the voters' response is based on
what they gets into their brain via regular bombardment of TV/Radio/media,
this gives unfair advantage to the two oldest parties.

Igor