In a message dated 2/6/2008 8:11:40 A.M. Pacific  Standard Time, [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
writes:
Actually the historical roots of the  Electoral College comes down to a
compromise between the small colonies and  the large ones. They needed
to balance influence between the two groups to  prevent the large
states from utterly dominating the presidential selection.  The
ELectoral College long predates the popular vote, as at the time  the
only voters were landowners small and large (even the rich  didn't
qualify necessarily, only landowners. But outside of the large  states
& the plantations most heads of family were landowners of some  sort)

--
M. Adam Maas

Yeah, I realized later I  left that out. The only ones that could vote were
white male  landowners.

Sorry.

Marnie

Warning:  I am now filtering my email, so you may be censored.

48)