Good question. It's impossible to pick a single moment. What
photography does for me is take me to places I wouldn't otherwise go,
and to events I wouldn't otherwise take part in. I love travelling,
although I haven't done much exotic recently, and photography and
travel are natural partners which feed off each other: travel inspires
photography inspires travel.

So my best times have been when I've travelled somewhere to photograph
something specific. When it goes well you get into a zone where the
world passes through your viewfinder like a movie. You feel connected
and yet separate from the events going on around you.

Mostly when this happens you can get a great set of pictures from the
event. For me these include photographing a funeral in a Transylvanian
village, photographing the Timkat festival in the mountains of
Ethiopia - watching dawn rise over the mountains and gorges having
spent the night out in a field with pilgrims during their all-night
vigil; going out with peasant fishermen on their boat at dawn in Puri,
Orissa; photographing druids in London, and a riot in London; women
farming seaweed in Zanzibar; a wildlife safari in South Africa - it
just goes on. Wandering around unknown cities, lost. The Mahalaxmi
dhobi ghat in Mumbai; the Moscow river at sunrise on a -20 November
morning... Photographing the children of my family and friends as
they've grown up. All these things and many, many more are due to
photography.

Sometimes the pictures don't work, but you still have the experience
and the memories - so you can't lose. The fishing photos from Puri
turned out to be hopeless, but I had a wonderful experience and met
some wonderful people. By the time I'd visited every house in the
Transylvanian village I was so drunk I couldn't focus, and messed up
what could have been one of the best photos of my life, when the chap
who'd 'adopted' me for the day broke down in tears at his parent's
grave. The composition and light, and the event itself are beautiful
in this photo, but it is hopelessly out of focus. But it doesn't
matter much because in the end I don't really need the photo - I have
the experience.

--
 Bob