Ok, I'm in.

You asked about great photographic moments, and to be honest there have
been so very many of them for me - partly to do with my job. As a news
cameraman, I can think of very few places I've filmed or photographed.
One would be in a submarine or at the bottom of the sea. Another would
be space. I've been in just about every other conceivable situation
between those two points. Which kind of waters the experience down a bit
sometimes, but hey.

So I thought long and hard, and I think I have come up with something
that might qualify a a 'great photographic moment'.

I distinctly remember my first colour prints off an Epson Stylus Photo
(must be nearly ten years ago?) and the immense buzz I got seeing my
(then scanned) pictures appearing magically before my eyes in incredible
detail and vivacity. Of course, at art college years earlier I had
experience something similar with my first black and white wet prints,
and then colour. But once I saw those prints off the Stylus Photo (EX -
it printed A3) I was so wowed by them that my mind raced with the
possibilities. Never again would I have to deal with stinking chemicals
and the turgid rituals of agitation.

I know many here profess that these very things are a part and parcel of
a historic process that verges on the sacred. Alas, not for me. I could
blow it out of my bottom.

The only other thing that I would quantify as a great photographic
moment is when I really felt happy using video editing software (Final
Cut) but that's a but tenuous in this case so I'll leave it with the Espon :-)

If you want amusing stories, here's just one. I photographed a beautiful
sunrise once - a large patch of crimson cloud in an otherwise deep blue
sky just before sun-up. I exposed three or four frames if I recall, none
longer than about 1/4 sec. On close inspection later, one of the frames
appeared to have a streak of crap or something that wasn't obvious,
about a couple of dozen pixels long, at a 45 degree angle, bright white,
almost like some sort of sensor artifact. BUT - zooming right in to
study it (appearing only on one frame, otherwise identical to the frames
before and after, taken only a minute or two apart), one thing was
obvious - the streak went behind a whisp of cloud and reappeared the
other side. It was bright at the front and trailed off at the back.

Of course, I had managed to capture a meteor in flight. A shooting star!

That was fun. I'll see if I can dig out the pic with a blow-up section.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__