Delano,

If it's not too late to reply to your request, I think you need to thank the
person who chose the boy's shirt for the day. The dark brown goes perfectly
with the rest of your good photograph. It helps make it, in other words.
Tone-wise, you've got a plain if simple photo with sepia tones on the
child's face, a dark brown background with blurry spots that don't compete
for attention (on my monitor, at least), and the dark brown shirt. Hey, it's
got yellow stripes!

When you said you wanted a critique, I assume you wanted something slightly
more thoughtful than the words in a Chinese fortune cookie. Let me try. The
things I notice are that you chose a high angle and you aren't giving us any
clues as to what the boy is looking at. The fact that I noticed the angle is
high does not mean you should have taken it at a lower angle. I just noticed
the angle was high, and that's FWIW.

As for the lack of clues as to what has the boy's attention, if you were to
provide clues you would have a different and far less simple picture.
Besides, nowhere is it written that poetry and photographs must tell you
everthing. You've taken a lovely picture of a child in one of those
delicious moments when he is opening his mind to a cause of wonder. He looks
to me as if he is trying to figure out how to use whatever information he is
getting, and I enjoy looking at your photo and creating my own story of what
the boy is thinking.

The Pentax 50mm f1.7 SMC-M is one of four Pentax lenses that I own. It came
with the first Pentax I bought, an ME-Super, over 20 years ago, and I love
it, especially in low light. I don't know the film you used (Ilford 3200)
but I am impressed with the color saturation of so fast a film. It does look
look like you've got some hot spots especially on his cheek, but when you
are wearing the perfect shirt for the occasion, what's a few extra Kelvins
among friends?

I hope this boy will get a copy of his photo that he can carry with him
through his life, and that he will from time to time look at it and be
reminded of his childhood and how wonderful it was and is to be learning
things and adding to his experience.

Bill Sullivan