Sorry I'm so late with these...

First one:  Dave Maki, "Where Flare Comes From"

A striking image, imho.  I like the narrow dof.  Wonderful detail at the
eyes and the hair-like feathers around his head;  front of the beak out
of focus.  It really draws one's attention to his eyes.

And yes, as you pointed out, it's neat the way the bright left and dark
right background "matches" his opened and closed eyes.  The flare,
framing the right side of the head is, in this case very effective -
lucky you left the hood off!

The backlighting is very effective at bringing out those hairy feathers
as well.

It's probably more the camera angle than anything else that makes him
look so pissed, but it works!  I don't think I'd want to get on his bad
side.

I don't know what else I can say - I really liked it a lot.  Thanks!

regards,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist fears it is true." -J. Robert