Thanks to all who replied. David Savage probably had me convinced
immediately with his comments of:

> what's the point of owning Pentax if you're not going to get
> the one part of the system that they do exceptionally well.

Also, to answer W. Robb's question of...
> why a person would put third party
> glass onto a Pentax

Well, sometimes *price* is the driving factor, and at the time, the price
of the FA* 70-200mm f2.8 Pentax lens was quite prohibitive. I've *always*
wanted Pentax lenses in my kit, but until now the prices didn't make that
possible given the speed I needed. Hence, brand loyalty is admittedly part
of my incentive to switch. Granted, they don't build the new lenses "like
they used to" (I think I could very well knock someone out with one blow
from my Sigma lens)... but the DA* lens prices (plus gainful employment)
at least allow me to consider these options for a change.

Boris asked:
> if your Sigma lenses work for you - why bother?

They do work for me... but since people are actually paying for these
pictures now, my thinking is that if there is something better and I can
afford it, then I want it.

Boris also mentioned the difference in focal lengths; and trust me, that's
a concern too. Right now, my wedding kit is seamless (Pentax 12-24 in the
bag, Sigma 24-70 & 70-200 on K10D bodies) so these two lenses are
obviously going to mess that up.  However, the 16-50 / 50-135mm range
will simply put me back to where most (zoom using) wedding / portrait
photogs were prior to digital anyway: 24-200mm equivalent. So I think I'll
adjust just fine without the long end (just take three steps forward)...
as long as the Pentax 50-135mm is still very sharp at the long end (at
least at f4.0, if not wide open.... ???). The part that I don't like is
the overlap between the 16-50mm and the 12-24mm, but in the end that may
be a good thing since it will probably translate to less lens swapping
during a shoot. In the end, I think I'll gain more than I'll lose from the
shift in focal length. But only time will tell.

By swapping, I'll also improve on my minimum focusing distances a tad. So
overall, I'm leaning towards the swap, but I still wanted to run the query
through the list to see what you guys thought. Also, if anyone wants the
inside track on buying my Sigma lenses from me if and when I pull the
trigger, please contact me off-list.

Jostein said:
> Remember also that there's a DA*60-250/4

Man, that's tempting. What would be AWESOME for when I eventually get back
to animal stuff... but for weddings & portraits, that's way more focal
length than I need at the expense of an f-stop that I really like having.
Still very tempting though because switching to the pentax lenses would
leave me with NOTHING between the long end of the 50-135mm and my 300mm
f2.8. That seems like a HUGE range of emptiness.

..emptiness that can be used to justify future purchases.... hmmm.....
Decisions. Decisions (ugh). Maybe I'll just stick with my Optio :o)

Thanks again to all who replied.