-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Frantisek Vlcek
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 5:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: why EI-2000 is total CRAP, UNUSABLE for anything but strong
daylight!

Hi,
   I have finally extensively tested functions of EI-2000 in a
   friendly shop. Why is it total crap? Read more...

   It has slow lens (2.5-4) coupled with unusable 400 iso setting (the
   noise is too much at iso 400). This calls for flash. But in all
   digicams, internal flash sucks big time. But EI-2000 has external
   hotshoe, right?

   Yes, external flash... the bigest piece of shit in EI-2000! IT IS
   NOT USABLE. THE X SYNCH HOTSHOE IS SIMPLY FOR LOOKS & MARKETING. IT
   CAN'T BE USED!!!

   1)It is NOT TTL, simply X synch. Meaning you must use autoflash and
   set an aperture on it, same aperture as on camera.

   2)It SYNCHES _ONLY_ IN _MANUAL_ MODE. Not in Av. Why this sucks? In
   Av mode, you preselect aperture. You could select one aperture on
   camera, same on flash, then tell camera to underexpose by 1.5 stop,
   having nice balance between flash and ambient. The choices are
   limitless, up to auto fill-in flash. This sometimes works better
   than TTL flash.

   3)BUT, even in MANUAL mode, external flash is almost UNUSABLE for any
   but still-life photos!!! WHY? for AUTO flash, you select aperture
   on flash, and then same aperture on camera (or both different, if
   you want fill-in flash). The aperture on camera must stay the same
   if the flashes' internal light sensor and thyristor is to give good
   exposure. BUT ON EI-2000, APERTURE DOESN't STAY THE SAME! Yes, in
   "manual" mode, aperture CHANGES during zooming! Even if I set it to
   f/11 manually, it changes to f/13 at half zoom range and f/17.5 at
   full zoom range!!! !!! Ever tried auto thyristor flash on non-ttl
   camera equipped with one of the cheap 3.5-6.3 zooms? You simply
   CAN'T GET GOOD FLASH EXPOSURE this way! If you set your flash to
   aperture f/5.6 at wide end of zoom, and then zoom to long end,
   camera's aperture is now about 1.3 f/stop smaller. That means your
   carefully framed and carefully exposed auto-thyristor flash shots
   (with flash set to 5.6) will turn out underexposed by 1.3 stops...
   NOT NICE!

   THIS stupid thinking, stupid engineering, stupid quality control
   and stupid testing, and may I say, stupid Pentax and HP whole,
   makes the camera TOTAL CRAP. Even from start when I learned that
   Pentax made it together with HP, I had doubts - HP products are
   mostly crap from my experience (their scanners are crap, I used
   them, then quickly exchanged for older model but much better
   Microtek).

   I will stay with Olympus in digital - Pentax obviously doesn't know
   how to design a digital camera. The Optios are nice toys but that's
   all. Toys. A digital camera without external flash is simply just a
   toy.

   If you can prove me wrong, that EI-2000 IS somehow usable with
   autoflash, I will be glad. But I bet you can't. I know - you can
   manually compute flash distance, subject distance, guide number and
   flash at full power, and select aperture to match flash-subject
   distance. But try that in reportage or action shots. HP's
   advertising describes the EI-2000 as "the digital camera with the
   control, performance and flexibility of an slr". BULSHIT!

   Frantisek Vlcek

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com