He was a nice looking dog. I know he is missed, and will be for a
long time. And I don't think you are being morbid at all!

I have been blessed with a number of companions. Every once and a
while my wife and I sit and go through a "litany of remembrance" - my
dogs, her dogs and cats, then our mutual dog and cats.
Over the last 50 years I have lived with Blackie (Cocker, my
brother's dog), Lisa (mostly Great Dane, my mother's dog), Houdini
(Lisa's son by a neighborhood mastiff who was a great fence climber);
Rin (my father's short-haired pointer); King Wenseslaus (sp?) (basset
hound); Robbie (another Dane); Bubba (another Dane, this one a show
dog, my mother's last dog, but he and I thought he was really mine).
Then since I met my wife, the trend has been mostly to cats. Gatha
(grey shorthaired cat), Galligaskins (large black and white
shorthair); Oaxaca (black shorthaired cat), Muppie (Shitzu [I swore I
would never be caught dead with a toy dog, but then my wife insisted
I go to the pet store to see this guy]), Pharo (Abyssinian);
Cattywumpus and Kittencaboodles (our current Main Coon cats). Every
one of them was/is unique and had/has a special place in my life. I
still miss every one.

One fond memory - we lived in Paraguay where our house, like most,
was in a fenced/walled-in yard. When repairmen etc. came through the
front gate Blackie and Houdini would pull a two-pronged attack.
Houdini, all 120 lbs of him, would come rushing around the corner of
the house barking madly. We would hurriedly assure the visitors that
he was nothing but bluff. Then Blackie would come around the corner,
wagging not just her tail but her whole body. "Watch out" we would
warn. They would ignore us, lean down to pet the cute friendly dog,
and she would bite them on the hand or leg. Never really hurt
anybody, but got their attention!

stan