> Manfrotto seems to have used a few different
> styles of leg lock on that tripod, and frankly,
> they all are crap

So... what your saying is that your a huge fan of Bogen tripods, eh?
LOL... Thanks though. You hit it on the head...

> The flip lever style of lock will barely hold the
> weight of the tripod when new <snip>

I guess that's the type I'm talking about, and the other one is the snap
lock that you mentioned. Or do I still have it backwards? <sigh> Anyway, I
see your point either way: Your vote is for a different tripod altogether.
Can't say I have the money now (just got the two new DA* lenses) but I'll
keep that in mind. Either way, the damn thing is supposed to hold up to 26
pounds... so it's a little frustrating that it can't do what it's supposed
to (but then I guess that's your point).

> either the 028, which is a very heavy beast,

I cannot even fathom getting a HEAVIER tripod than I already own. As it
stands, the 3036 is about twice my body weight (at least it feels that way
sometimes). Anyhow, thanks again! I'll let you know the verdict.