Christine,

Thanks for the reply. For my lighter, less expensive tripod (3221) I do
have the tool you mentioned  and know exactly what you're talking about...
but that doesn't seem to work for the 3036 for whatever reason. The legs
just keep on sliding...

Thanks though. Hopefully Manfrotto / Bogen Co. will have some good news
for me. Or maybe one of the big glass wielders like Cassino or Waller will
chime in with a similar experience.

... ?