> I wouldn't want to undercut pros that are charging reasonable
> (and I'm not saying they are) )prices.  They are trying to make a
> living in a very competitive and difficult business.

I disagree with that line of thinking. The open market is based on
competition. IMHO, it's within an individual's right to charge whatever
they want... or to charge nothing at all if they choose. It's not his
responsibility to ensure that industry standards are upheld and that
others in the same field of work can clear their desired profit margin.
Quite the contrary, it's up to them (those who charge more) to justify
their prices in a market when every tom, dick, and hank have a digital
camera and are willing to give it a go for substantially less. I guess I
believe that the photographers prerogative, quality of the product and
demand  should drive the price... not industry price fixing.

An example of this is wedding photography here my area. If I can't find
someone who wants to pay $1000 for my wedding photography services, then
chances are that I don't have $1000 material. LIkewise, I know (of)
several photogs that charge $3500+ just to shoot the wedding (i.e., no
product included)... yet they don't seem to be the least bit concerned
with the seemingly countless number of wannabe's on craigslist (for
example) that are giving away their services for next to nothing. At the
end of the day, their product speaks for itself: "Pay my fee and get
lesser quality". Whether by demand, supply, ambition, or plain old weeding
out, the market will correct everything in the end.

It's an interesting debate, nonetheless. I wouldn't be surprised if most
photogs agree with the price-fixing mentality, but personally I just don't
buy it.