----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Stenquist"
Subject: Re: DA* 16-58/2.8 and the flat focus problem

>I would look closely. I never test lenses. But I have taken advantage
> of the focal point adjustment on the K20D. It's worthwhile. And when
> this lens showed aberrant behavior, I tested it further. I could have
> settled for what was essentially a defective lens. And if the chips
> fell right I may never have noticed it in real world shooting. You
> can always blame it on camera shake or simply missing the mark on the
> focal point. But there are times when it's best to know that one's
> equipment works correctly. Or one can choose blissful ignorance.

Blissful ignoranceis a pretty mild term for ignoring a defective product. Years
ago, before
there was an internet, or digital imaging, I had bought a Tokina 35-105mm zoom
lens for my
Nikon. I was never really happy with the pictures, but was never able to figure
out what I
didn't like. It was sharp enough, and contrasty enough for what I had bought it
for (weddings),
but I just didn't like the pictures. I did a shoot for a friend for a record
(not a CD), and
finally discovered, because of the location I had chosen, that the lens had a
very slight barrel
distortion throughout the range, somewhat worse at middle focal lengths. I had
to put a straight
edge on the architectural details of the background to see it, but this was
what had bothered me
about the lens.
I sold it, went back to primes and was happy.

I've been very slow to adopt zooms because of this experience, and of the few
zooms I do have,
the only one I am really happy with is my old Tokina 80-200/2.8, which is very
good indeed.

William Robb