On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Even when the lens is set to wide open and is not being stopped down
> when the shutter release is pressed?

Hmmm. I don't have my camera (ZX-M) handy, but if memory serves, the
aperture on my SMC-A 50/1.4 lens doesn't look like it actually changes until
the DOF preview button is pressed or the shutter is released. In fact, the
lens looks like it's held at f8 regardless of what the aperture scale on the
lens reads. For example, if the lens is set to f2, I've noticed the aperture
opening when I take the lens off the camera body.

Shel, you could always attach those lenses to a body with DOF preview and
see if you get the same sounds...