There is an interesting BBC story today reporting the following about
some photos made by Lewis Carroll, a 19th century English mathematician,
writer and photographer who seemed to specialize in photographing little
girls (see PDML standard reference book, p. 363.) He is best known,
probably, as the author of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland":

     The UK Government has placed a temporary export
     ban on a set of rare photographs of the little
     girl who inspired the Alice in Wonderland stories.

     "These photographs are an important part of our
     cultural heritage taken by a widely acknowledged
     pioneer of photography. I very much hope they can
     stay in this country," said Arts Minister Tessa
     Blackstone.

I know that European countries often invoke such arguments in favor of
keeping paintings and other works of art from being exported (often to
America, which is where there seems to be strong buyer interest in the
photos in question). I have not seen this kind of "cultural heritage"
argument made with respect to photographs before, though. Is this a first?

Full story at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/arts/newsid_1680000/1680573.stmhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/arts/newsid_1680000/1680573.stm

Bob