Hi,

well, since there are a number of important photographic collections
in public galleries in the UK, including Tate Modern, the V&A, the
National Museum of Film, Photography and Television (or is it the
other way round), the RPS collection, the Royal Geographical Society
collection, the Science Museum etc. etc., and since these and other
institutions have been successful in imposing export bans on
non-photographic parts of their collections on heritage grounds, it
certainly follows that these grounds should be applicable to
photographs.

I seem to recall that some Fox Talbot photographs were 'saved for the
nation' recently. This is confirmed by Hansard (the proceedings of the
House of Commons):
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199697/cmhansrd/vo970319/text/70319w16.htm
There is also a daguerrotype of Herschel listed. I'm sure this was not
the first instance of this applied to photographs.

On a point of pedantry, isn't it Charles Dodgson who was the
mathematician & photographer, and Lewis Carroll the writer? :o)

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bhs2u/carroll/dodgson.html also
includes a photo of Alice Liddel by Julia Margaret Cameron.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]