Michael,

Only having seen ICE in action and not owning a scanner that uses it,
my comments must be taken with a grain of salt.  When scanning with
ICE on, the scan time is longer.  It has to scan one more pass to get
the surface defects.  I am also told and have read that it softens the
image slightly.  I do recall John Francis stating that if the image
was important, he scanned without ICE and cleaned it up himself.

My guess is that ICE is most valueable when scanning large quantities
where you would not want to take the time to clean up each one.  If
your scans are more individual, it might not be that useful.

One other area to look at, that you may not have thought of is batch
scanning capability.  The ability to tell the scanner to scan a number
of images and then let it do it unattended can be important.  That is
one of the reasons I bought the Scan Dual II over the Scan Elite (has
ICE).  Many scanners are one frame at a time and you have to sit and
nurse them.

Bruce Dayton