WR> I've always been a voice in the wilderness regarding HC:110. I
WR> like the stuff. It does well with TMZ. Truthfully, so does D-76
WR> if you give it long enough. T-Max developer gives one of the
WR> flattest characteristic curves I have seen with TMZ, but I find
WR> it a rather expensive developer to use, considering the
WR> benefits.

I have had good results with TMZ souped in Ilford Microphen (my _THE_
pushing developer, I develop HP5+ to 3200 in it). Microphen gives
better shadow detail but slightly larger grain to Kodak's TMY than
Xtol 1+1, so I guess it would be a well suited developer to TMZ.
Interestingly, I got better results on TMZ with Microphen than with
hot-processed (24 deg. C) T-MAX developer. But the negs were a bit
flat, that's right. I should have prolonged the souping time I think.

Still, I think Microphen is one of the very best low-light developers,
and it gives pleasant grain pattern with most films (sometimes
suprisingly small). And it is the cheapest push developer you can get!
For pushing, I use it undiluted, and throw it away after use (I buy
the big packs). A 2.5l pack is good for about 12-13 pushed films.

My friend who does R&R concerts much longer than me uses pushed Tri-X and
Tetenal Emofin for some really good photos. But Emofin is much too
expensive for me, it is about 4x-6x more expensive per film than
Microphen.

HTH,
    Frantisek