Just to add to the confusion (after desperately trying to enable a new lens for
the guy), I have
seen work from the Tamron 90mm macro and the matched multiplier, and was very
impressed. A
friend had this rig and did some comparisons between the lens with and without
the converter,
doubling the distance with the converter to keep the reproduction ratio the
same, and the
results were nearly indistinguishable from one another at an 8x10 print size.
This was on film mind you, but if the lens is good on digital, I expect the
lens and matched
multiplier should be good on digital as well.
I recall at one time I saw a set of extension tubes for Pentax that had A
contacts which would
make things much more usable on the current cameras. I don't for the life of me
recall the
brand, other than that they weren't Pentax.
Neither of these solutions will be as good as a real macro lens, but they will
be a lot cheaper,
and may be just fine for your wife's purposes too. I remember years ago I had
just bought myself
a 300mm f/5.6 Tamron lens, one of the old stove pipes. We were being swarmed by
Monarchs, so I
stuck an entire extension tube set onto the LX and put the 300 on the front and
proceded to
chase butterflies around the yard for a roll of film.
The working distance was around 10 feet, perhaps a bit more, and this was
almost filling the
frame with butterfly.
I got some lovely pictures that blew up nicely to 11x14

William Robb