Op Tue, 06 May 2008 07:41:08 +0200 schreef Godfrey DiGiorgi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On May 5, 2008, at 7:50 PM, Jan Moren wrote:
>
>> Brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask: what does it entail
>> today to actually use a 645 film camera? I've been on the fence on
>> getting one for a long time now, but I have very little experience of
>> shooting film. It is the slower workflow that appeals to me, as
>> well as
>> the very beautiful look of medium-format images.

The Pentax 645 is a auto-exposure, auto winder camera. There is no need
for the workflow to be slower than for a similar specified 135 camera.

>> For instance, is film readily available? And can you have it developed

I buy it at ebay. More than enough sellers with all kinds of film.

>> or do you have to do it yourself (I'm considering both BW and colour)?

I can have it processed by a photo-dealer or, through another, by the
Kodak lab. I develop black and white myself. The darkroom for printing
keeps rising on the to-do list. We're halfway though the kithchen. As soon
as we have a new roof, I can start building it.

>> If I have to do it myself, the idea is probably a bust; I don't
>> have the
>> space to set up anything. I'd appreciate feedback on the workflow in
>> practice for medium format.

Developing isn't a problem: you need a light-tight zippered bag with
openings for your hands (I'm quite sure the english language has a word
for it. Sadly I don't know it ;-), a daylight developing tank (patterson
is the brand to have, I think), and chemicals with containers.
Spool the film on the reel of the tank in the zippered bag, close it, and
the rest can be done in daylight...

Hope this helps,
--
Ciao, Lucas