On May 5, 2008, at 7:50 PM, Jan Moren wrote:

> Brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask: what does it entail
> today to actually use a 645 film camera? I've been on the fence on
> getting one for a long time now, but I have very little experience of
> shooting film. It is the slower workflow that appeals to me, as
> well as
> the very beautiful look of medium-format images.
>
> For instance, is film readily available? And can you have it developed
> or do you have to do it yourself (I'm considering both BW and colour)?
> If I have to do it myself, the idea is probably a bust; I don't
> have the
> space to set up anything. I'd appreciate feedback on the workflow in
> practice for medium format.

- 120 roll film is still easily available in a variety of emulsions.
- Processing has become a bit scarcer other than at "real" camera
shops and pro labs.
   B&W, color, negatives only, negs and prints, slides ... all are
still available.
- Traditional B&W film is easy to process at home .. doesn't take
either much
   space or equipment.
- Printing at home the chemical way requires a darkroom and all the
sundry
   equipment required. Scanning and printing digitally is much more
sensible:
   since the negative is largish, a modestly priced flatbed scanner
with transparency
   adapter can make excellent scans.
- "The very beautiful look of medium-format images" is a matter of
how well
   you learn how to print. Without spending a fortune on equipment,
you can
   get the same look from a DSLR if you know how to expose and render
the
   images correctly.

What you can't get with a DSLR is the signature characteristic of
medium format: the field-of-view + depth-of-field coupling. That is
why I still have a P645 medium format camera, even if I haven't shot
an exposure with it in over a year and a half. One of these days...

Godfrey