On May 6, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>>  On May 6, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Lucas Rijnders wrote:
>>
>>> Take a static subject, put your eye to the finder and let it roam
>>> around
>>> until you're satisfied?
>>>
>>> I'm not even being flippant: I liked both the OM-1 and the MX. What
>>> is the
>>> big deal with eye-relief?
>>
>>  I want to see the whole frame in a glance, without moving my eye
>>  around physically behind the eye piece. What you wrote above is fine
>>  for a static subject and plenty of time to look around. A lot of
>>  subject matter does not allow such a studied approach to the
>> viewfinder.
>>
>>  Godfrey
>>

> Ditto, with the added caveat that I find a restricted view of the
> finder mildly uncomfortable and an active impediment to shooting. If
> I'm planning to shoot trult static subject matter, I'm not likely to
> be shooting a compact 35mm SLR but rather my 645 or 4x5, neither of
> which are lacking in eye relief (Especially not the latter which has
> effectively unlimited relief).

The Live View on the Panny L1 body nets a similar unlimited eye
relief. I find it a tremendous aid when working with relatively
static subject matter and working on a tripod. It's more convenient
to me than the P645's reflex viewfinder, looks more like what I liked
using a Hasselblad or Rolleiflex with waist level finder. I haven't
shot 4x5 or larger formats in many years.

Godfrey