On Wed, 07 May 2008 11:51:47 -0400, P. J. Alling wrote:

>James wrote:
>> Very well put.
>> But please explain why every AF sigma lens I have doesn't show the correct
>> apature range on my super A. despite haveing  some  A contacts.
>>
>It's Sigma.

cannot argue there. I have an older sigma AF lens that works ok on my MZ7 but
won't at all on my K10D and MZ60 and the super A gives Apature readings outside
the range the lens has.
So now it is a single camera use lens.

>> Also why does the MZ60 have only 2 contacts missing when it was never
>> designed to use A lenses at all.
>>
>It's just possible that some "A" information is necessary for the
>Digital protocol to work and the MZ60 reads what it needs to.  Ya think?

personally. No.

>> Why does the sigma lens when I pulled it apart have all contacts except for
>> the * go via a flexiable circuit trace to a board in the lens when all that
>> is required of A contacts is to be shorted or open?
>>
>Sigma probably thought it could control which contact was open or
>shorted dynamically and fool the camera electronics.  Which being Sigma
>they failed miserably at.  (Here I'm guessing the first part but I'm
>sure about the second).

Tracing the circuit in the lens is very hard and for my older eyes, twice as
much. Couldn't get very far with this part.

>> If what you say is true, then the MZ60 should only have the digital pin
>> which it doesn't.
>>
>No, because the digital protocol builds on the A protocol, it needs the
>information conveyed by the "r" pins, why  that choice was made I don't
>know, but I'm not guessing, I'm thinking.

I also think the R pins are used for digital comunations as well. It is very
easy to add extra functions to pins on both sides (camera and lens) for the F
protocal while retaining backward compatiability. (except for
sigma)

Incendently. My DA*16-50 lens has an extra full contact on it's metal mount
compared to all other lenses I have. Looks like Pentax have added an extra
function to one of the 'm' pins. maybe for SDM.

>Sorry, it's just bad design.  If Pentax  was going to double up on a
>pin's functionality it wouldn't have instituted a separate digital
>contact.  There were plenty of "A" pins already.  Pentax made good
>design decisions up till now, I don't expect them to stop.

Maybe Pentax added the extra one for some engineering reason.
Also depends on what type of serial protocal they used

>> When I alerted Boz to the very limited MZ60, even he asked what do the other
>> contacts do
>>
>Maybe Boz was simply telling you to go pound sand.

He also asked the same of someone else, I can only assume some guy who has
provided some tech info for boz

>> so far, noone can answer.
>>
>Since the MZ60 is only interested in the maximum aperture, (check the
>chart on the Ka page on Boz's site I'll leave it to you to figure out
>what the "r" pins and the "m" pins convey, the pattern isn't hard to
>figure out),  I can assume that the digital protocol tells the camera
>all it needs to know about the minimum aperture and the "m"  are
>superfluous, I say that because it works perfectly well without them. .

Ithink all pins are used in some form of digital protocol.
why get only one aperture value digitally when all of it can be done at the
same time.
I have tried to measure what is happening with my digital multi meter set to
logic level. ie logic probe.
All I got from all pins was pulsing. ie all went high low high low very
quickly. none were stuck high or low Even the digital pin which I think is
power.
maybe pentax only powers the lens when the camera wants info from the lens thus
saving battery power ?
If I had a 10 input logic analyser, I would be able to say for sure what is
happening.

 James