On May 8, 2008, at 2:23 PM, DagT wrote:

>> One hardly needs IS with lenses of f/2 and faster speed, at least if
>> they're not 150mm or longer.
>> One can't lift a 300mm f/2 lens anyway, so it will always be a tripod
>> mounted lens and won't need IS either.
>
> I disagree, or at least I find SR to be very useful with shorter
> lenses and wider apertures. My pug portrait last month was taken with
> FA50mm @ 1:1.4, hand held at 1/30s.  I also have sharp pictures taken
> without a tripod with DA14mm @ 1/4s
> http://foto.no/cgi-bin/bildekritikk/vis_bilde.cgi?id=336893
> and DA16-50 @ 16mm and 1/8s
> http://foto.no/cgi-bin/bildekritikk/vis_bilde.cgi?id=353011
>
> For me SR has been the most useful new feature since the image
> sensors.

There's no argument about IS being useful. What I said was "need" ...
it's not a necessity.

BTW, I've gotten good sharp photos with both the DA14 @ 1/4 second
and a 50mm lens at 1/30 second hand-held without IS too. Can't tell
the difference between them and with IS in many cases.

I *can* tell the difference when I put the camera on a tripod,
however ...

Godfrey