De: Christine Aguila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Para: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Enviado: jueves, 29 de mayo, 2008 6:54:51
Asunto: Re: List focus shift (WAS: Re: K20D Hot Pixels)

From: "Jaume Lahuerta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>People already happy with their equipment? Sounds good but I don't fully
>agree...I would say resigned instead of happy.

Jaume: No doubt you know it's a little dangerous to speak for other people.
For the record, I'm extremely happy (not resigned) with my Pentax equipment.

>The consequence is that thread about future features and/or complaints
>about present ones are no longer popular, and newcomers that still have
>faith in that their brand will be able to fight in the premier league look
>for othe places to keep dreaming.

Yes, it's lots of fun to spend time dreaming about future camera features,
and I even do this from time to time, but time spent dreaming about the
perfect camera needs to be tempered with reality--the reality of the
features that are included in the camera one currently owns (can aford to
own) and what one can do with those features to make the best pictures
possible.  For me, the camera is a wonderous tool merging art and
science--and I think Pentax equipment has produced some beautiful
photography.  Check out the Pentax Photo Gallery.  I know there have been
complaints about the voting et al, but a good portion of the stuff that has
been accepted into the gallery is beautiful--and a good many of the folks on
this list have made beautiful pictures that have been accepted into the
gallery--despite the camera feature complaints.  I'm not suggesting that
photography is only about the final image:  in my view, it's not.
Photography is, in equal measure, about the camera/equipment and the
photographer's technique to produce a beautiful final image--thus, I'm glad
this list talks, complains, dreams about old and future Pentax equipment as
well as post PESOs & GESOs (and WRT the OTs:  do you really expect all
humans to stay on-topic all the time.  I've never met a human being like
that.)  If it was only about the equipment, I probably wouldn't have
subscribed last December--I am a newcomer to the list.  As to faith about
Pentax being "able to fight in the premier league", well, the good common
sense I find on this list helps to sustain my faith in Pentax.

>The 'negative' side is that the list may be seen as a 'closed' group of
>friends, with lots of private jokes and not very prone to orientate and
>convince new pentaxians that they have made the right choice (I would say
>that there are far less introductions and 'novice' questions that we used
>to have). And it is a pitty since I don't think that this is true at all
>but that people here is really helpful.

I don't view this list as a "closed group."  Instead, I recognize that the
folks on this list have been friends for many years, and any newbie is going
to be the new kid on the block when they first subscribe.  And I've found
everyone welcoming and helpful.  I do, however, don't ask as many novice
questions as I'd like because if I asked every single question I wanted to
ask I would present myself as such a pest ;-).  I do recognize people have
limits to their degrees of helpfulness and politeness.

> No more bloody fights

I'm sure those fights had some kind of entertainment value for you, but for
myself, I don't find them necessary.

Christine